Marine Notice No 61 of 2021 - Shannon Navigation - Algal Bloom
Notice Number 61 of 2021
No 61 of 2021
Waterways Ireland wishes to advise users of the Shannon Navigation that a number of locations throughout the Shannon in particular harbours and bays have or are likely to experience algal blooms in recent days and weeks. This seasonal phenomenon is evident as a light “Pea-green” and /or Green, Blue or Blue-Green colour in the water column on or near the water’s surface.
Information from the HSE guidance document “Interim Fresh Water Algal Bloom Guidance” is as follows:
• Affected waters may contain high levels of blue-green algae which may cause illness in humans and animals including pets
• Avoid contact with scum, visible algae and surrounding water
• Do not swim or partake in immersive watersport activities in water near visible algae
• Do not touch scum on the shore
• Wash hands if you touch the algal material
• Keep children and pets away from the water’s edge
• Do not let pets drink the water.
• Wash pets if they come into contact with water
Waterways Ireland thanks its customers for their understanding in relation to this matter.
Inspector of Navigation
15 September 2021
“Waterways Ireland, managing and promoting the inland waterways for the benefit of all…”