1. Vitamin D and fresh Irish air – When the sun shines in Ireland we have no reason to leave. Sunshine provides Vitamin D that promotes healthy bones and is medically proven to improve our mood. However, so many of us spend the bulk of our days in the office, at home, in the commute and constantly rushing. Fresh air and the healthful aspects of sunshine truly become a rare commodity. Yes, of course, bring your sunscreen, sunburn should be avoided…but there's a lot to be said for soaking up a few rays on a boat sailing down the mighty River Shannon.
2. Unplug! Everything can wait; it really can! – In this digital age, it seems we can't (or won't) make a move without "checking in," snapping a selfie, sending a text and staying in touch with the inbox. Chronic health problems such as stress, insomnia and depression have been linked to our lack of ability to power down. When you head out on Ireland's waterways, it's the perfect excuse to unplug even if it's just for a few hours. Your doctor will no doubt agree. Now, repeat after me: "Sorry I missed your call. I was out on Lough Erne on my boat all day".
3. Quality Time with Family and Friends – One of the biggest factors contributing to your happiness in life and your overall well being relates to your social life. In fact, medical studies link strong social ties to longevity, healthier eating habits, less stress and much more. When you step onto your boat with your nearest and dearest, you just get happier. The time spent catching up while out on a boating adventure on the Royal Canal will surely generate some serious bonding.
4. Connect with Nature – Studies show that connecting with the great outdoors is another contributor to overall good health. One thing we are not short of in Ireland is nature. Boaters can attest that there is no shortage of outdoor fun on-board a boat, feel the invigorating wind catch the sail or hopping waves at full speed out on Lough Derg.
5. Feeding your passion – Having a passion contributes to your overall happiness which correlates to good health. Boating is that passion for many. Spending time out to fish, head for a paddle, walk or cycle on Ireland's inland waterways will quickly becomes a passion.
Now more than ever, boating is an option for everyone, with so many boat hire companies on offer in Ireland you are sure to find a boat and a boating holiday which will benefit your health. Please see some of our brilliant boat hire companies below, book your 2019 adventure today. Go boating….its good for you.
1. Carrick Craft
2. Barrowline Cruises
3. Castle Archdale Boat Hire
4. Lough Neagh Tours
5. Silverline Cruises
7. Emerald Star